Informed Consent For Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Alternatives to Surgery:
Risks to my health if the above procedure is not performed include but are not limited to:
Cyst or tumor formation;
Periodontal (gum) disease; and
Increased risk for complications if removal is required at a later time.
Possible Complications which have been discussed with me include but are not limited to:
1. Injury to the nerves, to the lower lip, and tongue causing numbness which could be permanent;
2. Bleeding and/or bruising which may be prolonged;
3. Dry socket;
4. Involvement of the sinus above the upper teeth;
6. Decision to leave a small piece of root in the jaw when its removal would require extensive surgery and increased risk of complications;
7. Injury to adjacent teeth or fillings; and
8. Unusual reaction to medications given or prescribed.